How to get Ship ready for
Black Friday & Cyber Monday
Is it that time already!? Black Friday and Cyber Monday (BFCM) are here, and it means that as the orders are coming in, you’re doing your best to fulfill them and ship them as quickly as possible, all while marketing and maintaining client expectations. That’s a lot of moving pieces so, we wanted to give you a couple of ways that you can make sure the back-end of your shipping is ready for this busy season.
You’re relying on us, your third-party app providers, to make sure that we are in tiptop shape, so your BFCM is successful. We’ve made a list of questions that you can ask your third-party app providers – that way you know they’re ready too:
- What hosting company do they use? Cloud hosting is key here – shared/VPS hosting does not scale well and has no proper failover.
- If their app goes down, do they have a status page where you can monitor the problem? Check out the Intuitive Shipping status page.
- Has a third-party agency reviewed their server architecture? This is critical for any app like ours that directly impacts checkout.
- If not, do they have a server architect on their team who has reviewed their setup?
- Will they offer 24/7 support?
- Have they performed load testing on their servers to ensure they can handle the rush?
- Are their servers scalable to ensure your customers don’t bounce due to increased loading times? Every second of loading time contributes to customers abandoning their cart.
Not every app requires this much preparation, but it’s best to do your due diligence to ensure you have a successful and worry-free Black Friday and Cyber Monday!
Prepare for a High Volume of Sales
If you’re doing a flash sale this BFCM or are expecting high volumes, know that third party apps can be limited to the number of API requests that can be submitted. This means that if you have a large number of checkouts at the same time, it can cause your third-party apps – like Intuitive Shipping – to stop returning rates. But don’t worry here are some things you can do to be ready:
- Review Shopify’s Flash Sale documentation for detailed advice on how to prepare.
- Notify Intuitive Shipping if you’re expecting a very high number of sales orders or if you’re having a Flash Sale leading up to Black Friday.
- If you’re a Shopify Plus merchant, notify your Merchant Success Manager and ask to have the API request limit temporarily increased.
Following these important steps will help ensure that your customers have a smooth checkout and that your sale is a successful one!
Create a Fallback System
If you’re using Live Rates at checkout, not having access to those rates can be devastating to your Black Friday sales. With Intuitive Shipping, you can create a fallback system to ensure that you always have rates available. There are a few ways you can do this, you can also check out this handy dandy Help Centre Article for Screenshots and instructions on how get these set up! If you’ve set up your Intuitive Shipping account as of October 18th, 2021 please read this Help Centre Article for further assistance.
Set-up an Alternative Live Rate Shipping Method
At peak times during Black Friday/Cyber Monday, your preferred carrier’s system may be working overtime. That can lead to rate calls timing out or not getting through at all. To ensure that you always have live rates available for your customer, you can set up an alternative Live Rate Shipping Method. Let’s say you’re using live rates from UPS. You can set up an alternative Shipping Method with another carrier – e.g. FedEx – and have it on standby in the event that UPS rates go down.
Add Fallback Costs
If you do not want to set up an alternative Live Rate Shipping Method with a backup carrier, the Carrier Service Fallback Rate allows you to set up a flat, fallback shipping rate that is displayed to your customer in the event that the rate request sent to the carrier times out. This typically occurs when the carrier rates are not returned to Intuitive Shipping within six (6) seconds or when carrier rates are down and not responding at all.
Check Our Status Page & Reach Out to Our Team
If we become aware of known issues with carrier rates, we’ll post an update on our Status Page. You’ll also get a notification within the app.
Also, don’t be a stranger. Our 5 Star Customer Success Team is here to ensure you have your best BFCM yet! Reach out if you have questions or need help preparing. You can do this through the Support Page at our Help Centre or the Contact Us page on our site.